Saturday, December 26, 2009

January Blocks

Hi Everyone,
I hope you had a wonderful Christmas. My family enjoyed two fun-filled, gift-filled, food-filled days of celebrating. I'm exhausted and glad to have some quiet time now. I'm especially excited to get started on our bee. I've decided that for my blocks I would like to do a tree theme.

I did my first paper-pieced block about a month ago when I fell in love with this circle of geese pattern. (The tutorial there is really great, too.) When I realized how easy it is, I went a little crazy. I found this great site with lots of paper piecing templates. I originally wanted to make a wonky little Christmas tree, since I was full into Christmas-spirit mode. I didn't use especially Christmas-y colors, but I loved how it came out, so the tree theme idea was born.

Anything somewhat related to a tree, like leaves for example, is also welcome. Here's a list of free patterns I've come across, but feel free to use whatever you like. The more creative the better. It also doesn't have to be paper pieced if you find a tree-like block that doesn't require it.

Wonky Christmas Tree
(that can really just be any kind of pine tree)
Tree at Sunset (but you could really use any kind of background)
Sasha's Tree
Tall, Skinny Pine Tree (There are quite a few other trees on this site as well)
Aspen Leaf
Maple Leaf
Simple Pine Tree (I don't believe this one requires paper piecing.)

These are the ones I've tried so far:






This is the wonky tree.












The is the Tree at "Sunset".














And this is Sasha's Tree.






I just bought what I think is the rest of the fabric. It's in the washing machine now. I do still have to buy more background fabric though. Other than that, all I have to do is cut it up and mail it out to all of you.

I would like the blocks to be 12 1/2" square. (That seems to be the most common size I've run across.) I'm planning to do sashing between the blocks, so I'd prefer not to have borders, but if that's the only way you can make the 12 1/2" square, I can live with it. Also, if you'd like to do two blocks, that would be great. If you do, I'll make two blocks for you during your month, but please don't feel obligated.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'll let you know as soon as the fabric is in the mail.

Katie

9 comments:

  1. Love the tree theme, can't wait to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving the tree theme, too! I think I'll play around with some patterns while I'm waiting on your fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea for trees. I'm new to the paper piecing thing, but I think I've got the hang of it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. At what % did you blow up the pattern to? Did you find an easy way for getting the right sizes for the 12x12?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hilary - in my samples I didn't actually make the right sizes - I was so anxious to try them out I just jumped right in. I didn't really have the idea for the tree quilt until after I made them. I'll see if I can figure it out tonight though and let you all know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Hilary,
    I found that a block that is 5 inches square needs to be blown up 250% to be 12 1/2 inches square, and one that is 6 inches square needs to be 205%. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete