Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Katie's Blocks from Bonnie & a Quick Introduction

I received Katie's fabric in the mail yesterday and had to get started right away! I can't promise that I'll always be this prompt, but we're expecting a new baby in a few weeks so I wanted to make sure to get these done right away. I didn't have a chance to post an introduction last month, so I thought I'd share a little about me now. My name is Bonnie. My wonderful husband and I have five children with number six arriving later this month. I blog at Fishsticks & Fries. I love to sew! I actually sew a lot more clothing than anything else, but recently I've been feeling a tug to quilt the way my mom and granny did. I'm enjoying learning all the ins and outs . . . and maybe even re-learning the "right" way to do things, since I tend to be a jump-in-and-do-it sewist rather than a read-the-instructions-first sewist. I promise I'll do my best to do things the way they should be done for the bee!


I loved the idea of doing quilt blocks with trees or leaves for Katie, but it took me a bit to decide exactly what I wanted to do. For the first block, I had a plan in mind but it sort of took shape as I sewed. I used several Flying Geese blocks to make the trees then pieced together the remaining pieces to simulate sky, tree trunks and grass. I love how this one turned out!

The second block that I did is a little simpler. I used the Maple Leaf pattern from Quilter's Cache. Quick and easy, but hopefully a nice addition to Katie's quilt!

I can't wait to see all the other blocks!

1 comment:

  1. I love these - everything about them - the designs - the way you put together the colors. This is going to be such an awesome quilt. Thank you, Bonnie! Let us know when you have the baby! We'll all be dying to hear.

    ReplyDelete